This dish lies along the border of a soup and a stew… it’s deliciously comforting and wonderfully simple to make.
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into, roughly 2 cm pieces
2 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and grated
2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes ( if you have them)
2 tins of tomatoes
2 tins of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
Freshly ground black pepper
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
4 tbsp natural or greek yogurt
1 red chilli, chopped
1. Set the oven to 180c/ 350f/ gas mark 4. Place the sweet potato in a large roasting try. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper before placing the tray in the oven. Allow to roast for about 20-25 minutes or until tender in the middle and caramelised around the edges.
2. Meanwhile, pop a large saucepan over a medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil followed by the garlic and onions. Stirring regularly, let them sweat for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the spices and mix together, allowing them to coat the onions and garlic.
4. Add the cherry tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, 2 tins worth of water, kidney beans and chilli powder to the pan along with a good pinch of black pepper and sea salt. Stir and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let everything gently bubble away while you wait for the sweet potato to cook.
6. Once the sweet potato is ready, transfer it to the soup and continue to cook for a few more minutes.
Serve in warm bowls topped with some avocado, chilli and a cooling spoon of yogurt.